Water sanitation and hygiene facts

1. 1 in 9 people lack access to safe clean water

2. Every minute of the day, a child dies of a water related disease

3. For every $1 spent on water and sanitation there is a $4 economic return

4. 1 in 3 people on the planet lack access to basic sanitation


  • Improved sanitation leads to decrease in cases of diarrhea by almost 30%.
  • Washing hands with soap leads to decrease in cases of diarrhea by 20%.
  • Approximately 2,300 people die every day from diarrhea

6. More than 800,000 people die every year from a water related disease

7. 750 million people lack access to safe, clean drinking water

8. 82% of those who lack access to clean water lives in rural areas, the remaining 18% lives in urban areas

9. 538 million Africans are without access to safe clean water

10. An estimated 622,000 children under the age of five die each year from diarrhea related diseases globally

Raise funds for Hope Spring by pledging your birthday.